November 20, 2010

Zion's Children - pt 31

At the touch of his hand, Miri's heart began to beat a thousand times faster. He was going to kiss her...and she was going to let him. She'd never been kissed before...and had often wondered what it would be like. Especially since Byrin had arrived. It had been a pleasant diversion from the death and despair surrounding her.

But at the last moment she turned her face away so that the kiss landed on her cheek, which was now flaming red.

"Miri?" he asked gently. "I'm sorry...I thought..."

"No Byrin, don't apologize," she answered softly. "I like you...a lot. And I'd love to kiss you."

"But?" He ran his hand over her hair, as much to comfort her as to feel its softness.

"It's just not how my people do things." She was alarmed to see his face freeze. "What?"

"What...repeat what you just said..."

"I said, it's not how my people do things. You know, court each other and such..."

"Your people. Miri...that's it." Byrin leapt to his feet quickly. "We have to get back to the lab."

"Ok." She was surprised when he knelt down and helped her put things away.

"We have to hurry," he said. Once she had stood and lifted the basket, he whipped up the blankets and gave it a quick shake to knock dirt and debris away. "I'll kiss you later, however you want, I promise. I've figured out why your people are dying."

Miri hurried.

No comments: