November 02, 2010

Zion's Children - pt. 22

"What is this?" Marcus asked, incredulous.

"It's a sample of my blood," Byrin explained.

"I can see that!" exploded Marcus, his temper short these days. No doubt Miri would threaten to sedate him an day now. "What gave you the idea to test your own blood?"

"What better control sample?" Byrin shrugged. "I'd like to draw samples from all CF personnel. I know it'll take a bit of time, which we don't have, but I think it will be vital. This disease is supposed to be new, with no vaccination available yet. But clearly, it's not as new as we've been lead to believe. Bits of its DNA are floating around inactive in my blood. I haven't spliced enough to tell if it's merely dormant, in which case I'll eventually get sick as well, or if it's dead."

"Bloody hell," the older doctor said, out of character. "Get to splicing then! I'll see that you get your other samples. Miri..."

"I'll get Lily started on it right away." She left the room quickly, a chilliness to her graceful stride.

"You need a nap," Byrin said gently. "Before Miri takes matters into her own hands."

"She'll put you down just as quick." But Doctor Alexander lowered himself into a chair with a deep sigh. "None of us has been sleeping well, Byrin. Not even Miri, though she hides it better than most. Levi..."

Byrin sat in the other chair, and rolled over to his superior officer and friend. "No, this isn't easy on any of us. These people shouldn't be dying. Levi what? Has he been pressuring you?" His own interaction with the old man had been limited and intimidating.

"No, no...nothing like that. Archie was telling me just this morning how Levi tells him how often he finds Miri asleep by the side of her bed. Poor girl prays and cries herself to sleep."

Byrin wondered what she prayed...wondered how she could still pray after seeing so much death.

"And you'd never tell it by looking at her," Marcus continued. "Must be her youth."

"She's not that much younger than myself," Byrin pointed out.

"I know," the other man said in an odd tone.

Byrin opened his mouth to question him on it, but the woman discussed reentered the room at that moment.

"Nurse Bennett recovered from her surprise at the request nicely, and has started the task already." Miri handed over a vial. "This is her blood, as I've noted on the side. She thinks that it will be complete by late tomorrow." She picked up a nearby hypo.

Marcus held up both hands in protest. "Now Miri, jut because I've been irritable doesn't mean you need to sedate me. Not yet."

Her eyebrows shot up. "I wasn't going to. I was going to help Lily by drawing your blood for this, since you're right here. However, if you're tired enough to be wary of me..."

He guffawed. "I promise to lay down for a little after this, I promise."

"Then I shall hold you to that. Now, give me your arm."

When done, she marked the vial and handed it to Byrin. "I do not know what inspired you to check your own blood...and neglect to keep me informed...but I hope it leads us to some answers. And soon."

So that's why she had a bee in her bonnet, mused Byrin as he took the second vial of blood. "You had already left for the night, Miri. I apologize for not calling you from your bed."

"Sarcasm is not an attractive quality," Miri snapped back.

Marcus cleared his throat. "I'm not the only one in need of a nap, now am I?"

"Indeed," remarked Byrin as the young woman turned red and left the room.

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

After a big gap, you've hit the writing zone running!