November 12, 2010

Zion's Children - pt. 27

Byrin woke as quickly as he had passed out. As he had been knocked out. He should be angry with Miri, but oddly enough he wasn't. While he felt a little sluggish, a side effect from the meds, he felt rested. He wondered how long he had slept.

"Good morning," Marcus said, somewhere nearby.

"Is it?" He sat up on the cot, vaguely wondering how he had gotten there. Marus sat in the office chair he usually occupied when sitting, at a computer station close to the door so that he could leave quickly at a moments notice.. "How long have I been out?"

"9 hours. Probably not long enough. Miri only gave you a half dose, but you were tired enough to sleep past the normal time."

"I feel better, so it was good enough." He stretched and rose to his feet. "Is Miri in yet?"

"No. I spoke with Levi a few minutes ago and she's still asleep. After we put you on the cot, I gave her a sleeping pill and sent her home so that she could have a rest as well. We've all been running on empty for too long." Marcus shifted in his seat.

"What about you?" Byrin wondered where he could get something to eat, but didn't voice the question yet. "You don't look like you've slept any time recently."

"I'll be laying down shortly." Marcus smiled tiredly. "I was keeping vigil. Evvie pulled through the night, though just barely. I doubt she'll last much longer. I'm surprised, Bryin, that you're not more upset."

"At what? Miri?" Byrin took a deep breath. "I saw the look on her face, Marcus. It hurt her to do that to me. How can I be angry?" He shrugged. "Women are strange creatures."

"That they are."

"I like her Marcus." Byrin shrugged again, managing not to blush like schoolgirl with her first crush.

"So I've gathered."

"Besides, you did warn me that if I wasn't careful, she'd do exactly what she did."

Marcus chuckled. "I did, didn't I?"

Byrin stretched. "Now, if you'll point me towards some food...I'll recharge and get back on track."

No comments: