November 16, 2010

Zion's Children - pt. 29

"I thought I told your grandfather to keep you home today!" grumbled a somewhat rested Dr. Hamilton as Miri entered the lab. He had done as he'd intended and had gotten a long enough nap to see himself refreshed.

Byrin turned from his computer and saw a hesitant Miri standing just inside the doorway. He wondered what was in the basket she was holding, but she was talking and it would have been rude to interrupt.

"My understanding of Grandfather's report of your words," Miri was saying, sounding nothing like her usual self, "was that you wanted me to take the day off. You said nothing about my staying home. In fact, Marc, Grandpa approves of my afternoon plans and gave me his blessing."

"Did he now?" Marcus scratced behind his right ear and returned to his seat, not realizing he had stood in the first place. "Well, then my dear...do tell me what your plans are and what brings you to the lab?"

"I..." Miri took a deep breath. "I am walking out to Lake Aryn and having a picnic. I was wondering if Byrin might like to come with me?"

"Me?" Byrin was surprised. "I..."

"Oh, go ahead and go with her," Marcus chided. "You haven't gotten that deep into anything that a few hours would hurt."

"I don't know." Byrin considered the info on his computer screen. "I've only just gotten started on the new blood samples."

"The air by Lake Aryn is still fresh," Miri argued. "It will help clear your mind...further..."

Something about the sample information on the screen was bothering him, but he found himself wanting to go with her. He stood, saying, "You're both right. Let's go Miri."

No comments: