September 15, 2007

Resistance Is Futile - pt 33

She was early, but Virginia wanted to have some control over the situation. She had programmed the Holodeck to provide an old fashioned outdoor patio setting on an asteroid in an imaginary asteroid belt. The technology that existed to allow her to dine in outer space without suffocating or floating away never ceased to amaze her.

Settling in on of the low clung chairs, she held a cup of steaming coffee in her hands and took a deep sip. Here in the holodeck it wasn't quite the same as the real thing, but neither was the sludge from the replicator. Guinan had fixed her up with a pot in Ten-Forward before she came here and she had been audacious enough to just take it with her. However it was long since gone and she'd had to ask the holodeck to supply her with some. Virginia let herself get comfortable, propping her feet up on the simulated footstool, knowing that her head was going to kill her later for the Ale she had imbibed. Of course, she wasn't certain she was done drinking yet. Watching the asteroids tumble and spin against a stunning starfield backdrop, she wondered what more Picard could have to say.

All things considered, it was the shortest romance Virginia had ever had. Really, it had been over before it had ever began. Fiery, but short. It was too bad, because she genuinely liked Picard and was attracted to him. Wasn't she? Secretly, she thought that she picked the men she did just to tick Ian off, with the exception of Marcus. She had truly loved, Marcus. But after the time with Ian...every man she'd slept with was the polar opposite of that man. They were either harsh and demanding such as Jayden, seemingly cold and distance like Spock had been, and in the case of Picard...well, his history with Ian as Q was well known and she didn't think anyone on this ship that she could have picked would have ticked him off as greatly. Not that she wanted Ian jealous. Just ticked off. Royally ticked off.

Why she was punishing him for something she had done, Virginia didn't know. But that was her heart's desire. Talk about spiteful. Vindictive. By punishing him, she punished herself, because his misery was her misery. Two souls joined, but kept apart.

She wiped away the tears that threatened to fall. It had been her fault. Marcus had been dead for almost 3 years when Ian had rescued her from Sancuary Distric A...her memory had still been in fragments, but by that time she had remembered her name at least. Day after day, with his gentleness meeting her angry outbursts, her heart had began to soften...she began to want to live again. Each new day saw her memories restored bit by bit. The nightmares never let up though...not once. Only after...

Quickly she diverted her thinking. The last thing she wanted to be remembering was the night she had Bonded with Ian. Thankfully the holodeck doors whooshed open and she was spared having to divert her thoughts further.

"This is quite the setting you've picked," Picard commented, taking a moment to enjoy the view before settling in the chair beside her.

"The stars have been my comfort since I was a teen," Virginia said, by way of explanation. "Only here in the holodeck can I indulge in my fantasies."

"Virginia..."

"Yes, Jean-Luc?"

"I don't want things between us to end on such a discordant note."

"But end they must, correct?" Virginia took a deep draught of her sweetened coffee, amused at his choice of words. "It was my fault for believing you when you said you didn't want Beverly anymore."

"It's hardly all your fault," replied Picard. "As I recall, you were ready to ignore the attraction between the two of us and I had to convince you otherwise."

"I seem to recall that as well. Safe to say that we are both at fault then?"

"I think that's fair." Picard smiled. "Shall we remain friends?"

By habit, Virginia rolled her eyeballs. "I hate it when men say that. Do you all have that line memorized? No, don't answer that. Sorry, but I've heard my share of that line. I know you mean well Jean-Luc, and yes, I'd like to remain friends as I have very few real ones. And I think that you could be one."

"I think so as well," he said gently. "Now, care to tell me what has you drinking Romulan Ale? Especially with a dangerous mission upcoming?"

"I heard the stars sing..." she answered almost inaudibly.

"What could be wrong with that?" Picard asked innocently. "I would think that it would be a great delight to hear the stars sing."

"It is delightful. It's the reason why they sing that bothers me."

Picard was at a loss for words, as it seemed that Virginia wasn't going to elaborate.

"How's Ian? Or rather, Q?" she asked without warning.

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. "I didn't ask, but he seemed his usual arrogant self."

"Then he is miserable. Good." Virginia took another long drink of her coffee.

"He told me not to tell you."

She shrugged. "He forgets that I can tell when he's around, even when I'm binging."

"I see."

"I don't feel him anymore, though, so he's gone."

Picard didn't mention that Q had told him he'd be watching. Nor did he think that he should mention that her voice was filled with disappointment and longing. He didn't think she'd want to hear it anymore than what Guinan had to say about him and Beverly. What a set the four of them were!

Instead, Picard chose a different topic. "Are you sure it's wise to not charge Beverly?"

Virginia looked at him as though he'd lost his mind. "Of course, I am. We can't have one of the Fleet's top medical doctors court marshalled because her friend forgot to tell her about a mission. StarFleet needs Beverly here...the Enterprise needs her here."

Picard was chagrinned. "I was afraid you did it because..."

"Don't be ridiculous. I didn't get to the admirality by being stupid. Had I been swayed by my emotions, the Klingons would never have made it to see even the Organian Peace Treaty. But, I see further down the line. The Federation needs Klingons as allies and members. And you're gonna need Bev."

He didn't argue.

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I think Picard was told there.