September 03, 2007

Resistance Is Futile - Pt 22

The man on the screen in front Virginia looked like a young Vulcan. However, Virginia knew him to be otherwise. James was a Vulcan/Gandraleayian hybrid, who was just past his first century. He was far too "human" for both species that had birthed him. He also served as the admiral's secretary.

"I hear you've been calling?"

"Quite," he answered. His voice was quite dry. "Ambassador Raven-Cloud arrived with a message from the Orion Council. Sovenal and Raven-Cloud both tried to Locate you after you failed to appear for our hails this morning. The Enterprise assured me that you were indisposed and the two began to panic."

"You mean Sovenal began to panic and Raven-Cloud got ticked off." Virginia leaned in closer to the screen. "What does it usually mean when I can't be Located?"

"That you are either dead or drunk." James rolled his eyes comically. "I told them that, but they instisted on multiple calls."

"Is either one of them nearby?"

"Raven-Cloud departed, but Sovenal is in her office."

"Put me through."

A young-looking woman with dark blonde hair replaced James on the screen. "Oh Admiral! You're all right! We were so worried." How a woman pushing fifty could manage to sound like a gushing teenager, Virginia had never quite figured out, and Sovenal had been on her staff for over twenty years now. "Ambassador Raven-Cloud arrived with a message for you and when the Enterprise crew wouldn't let us speak to you, we both tried to Locate you and couldn't!"

"First of all, I was unable to speak to you, so the crew is faultless. Second of all, what does it usually mean I'm unable to be Located, Sovenal?"

"Ma'am?"

"You've been on my staff for how long and you're telling me you don't know what that means?"

"Twenty-one years, ma'am."

"It means I am either dead...or drunk. If I'm dead, there's nothing you can do about it...and if I'm drunk, I'm probably having sex."

Sovenal blushed brightly. "I had heard rumors..."

"They're all true. I couldn't talk to you this morning, because I was getting laid." Virginia conveniently left out the part where she had been unconscious because she'd been punched by the ship's chief medical officer. No one needed to know that, not now, and maybe not ever.

"I am so sorry to have disturbed you..." Sovenal began to fidget.

Virginia let her, for almost a full minute. "Now, what was Raven-Cloud's message?"

"The Council was merely sending it's blessing for your current mission." Sovenal answered quietly, here eyes downcast...no doubt trying to rid herself of the image of her superior being intimate.

"That's it?! I have the Council's blessing? I'll rmember that when Deanna and I are staring down the Borg Queen." It was always so nice when the stuffy Council granted their blessing. "Now, I'm going to say something, and I want you to hear it...we're going into a battle zone...and I don't want this office calling me again unless the universe is unraveling."

"Yes ma'am."

Virginia terminated the call.

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It looks like action stations!