September 14, 2007

Resistance Is Futile - pt 32

It was time for the ship to go to Warp speed. Had the bridge crew been aware of the orders about to issue out of the Captain's mouth, they would have been tense and on edge. However, they were unaware and so there was a relaxed feel on the bridge of the Enterprise...for the moment.

Picard sat in his chair, concerned over the absence of Admiral Hamilton. Surely she would have wanted to be present when the ship began its trek towards Borg territory. However, her presence wasn't necessary...though it was greatly desired. He had tried getting ahold of her all afternoon, and had received no answer. He had conferred with Lt. La Forge and they had decided to proceed at Warp 3 for a duration of 24 hours, followed by Warp 6 for another 36. They could have reached their destination quicker by either traveling at Warp 6 for the entire trip, or a faster speed all together. But the entire idea at going slowly was to give Deanna and Worf time together before that bride had to go into a battle zone by shuttle craft.

"Helm," began Picard. "Set a new course. Borg territory." There was no need to give exact coordinates as the Helm officer would plot a course for the nearest edge of their known territory.

There was not even a hesitation as Ensign Ro's hands moved across the controls. "Aye, Captain. Course set and laid in."

"Warp 1...on my mark." Picard paused. For a moment, he thought that he could feel the importance, the destiny of the moment that Q had mentioned. Akin to a sense of an approaching storm. The doors of the turbolift opened and Picard turned to see who was arriving. He smiled as Admiral Hamilton walked down the rampway.

"Status?" she inquired tightly as she took the seat to his right.

"Course is set, and I was about to give the order to go to warp speed."

"Don't let me stop you," Virginia remarked, leaning back in the chair.

Picard looked at her a moment, then addressed Ro. "Helm, engage."

"Aye sir. Warp 3."

The ship gave no sign of the increased speed. One sensitive enough might have felt a slight vibration, but it was something you had to look for. However the stars on the viewscreen began to speed by.

"How long will we be at this speed?" Virginia asked.

"24 hours," replied Picard. "Admiral, let's discuss this in my Ready Room shall we?"

The admiral nodded and rose to her feet, letting him lead the way. Picard sat in his chair and motioned for Virginia to sit. She took a seat and crossed her legs, hoping that he couldn't see how close to being drunk she was. She had spent the afternoon sipping on the Romulan ale, ignoring his hails and waiting for the stars to sing. They hadn't, which meant that Ian wasn't around anymore. "After the 24 hours?" she asked.

"Warp 6 for another 36 hours." Picard watched her closely. "I would have told you this had you answered my hails this afternoon."

She acknowledged the mild rebuke with a terse, "I was busy."

"Virginia..." Picard took a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Could he be saying what she thought he was? Surely he didn't remember saying the wrong name.

"For calling you Beverly."

"Oh." He was!

"I'm on the bridge for another hour. I...would like to talk to you further about this."

She considered this. "Ok."

"Holodeck 3?"

"I'll be there." Virginia stood. "In the meantime, I'm going to find some coffee."

Picard smiled at her. "Will that help sober you?"

"No, but in fact it will make me even more giddy...You can tell?"

"Virginia," he said, scolding her mildly. "You hide it well, but yes."

"I only had three glasses."

"Of what?"

Virginia blushed brightly. "Romulan ale."

"If what Guinan says is true, it's a wonder your standing."

"I drank it slowly. It makes a difference."

"I see." Picard stood. "I'll see you in an hour then."

"Holodeck 3." Virginia nodded and turned on her heel.

With a steadiness that had to be manufactured, she left his room and presumably the bridge. Picard waited for the doors to slide shut before hitting his combadge. "Picard to Guinan."

There was a moment's pause before Guinan answered. "Yes, Captain?"

"How concerned would you be if I told you that Virginia spent the afternoon drinking?"

"Very. Is she drunk?"

"She's not sober. When she left, she claimed to be on her way to find some coffee."

"She's still hurting."

"So I gathered. She did agree to meet with me after I leave the bridge."

"Good. Ah, if you'll excuse me Captain, I think I'd best prepare some coffee."

"Understood. Picard out."

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Do Gandreayans have hangovers, Ciera? It seems Virginia might get one.