January 18, 2011

Zion's Children - pt 44

3 days passed. Little changed.

Except - people started getting better.

Byrin wasn't ready to start discharging anyone, because no one was that well yet. Miri was taking the longest to respond to the anti-virus, for reasons no one understood. She was the first medicated, so she ought to have been the one to start feeling better first. Byrin never once tried to share Levi's spot by Miri's bedside, but he was the one in charge of her care. He didn't even let one of the nurses give her the next dose or check on her vitals. He was wearing himself down, but no one commented this time. And so far, he hadn't found the virus' trigger, so new cases were still coming in. No one was completely safe yet.

"Grandpa," murmured Miri late that evening, while Byrin was working on both manufacturing a toned down version of the anti-virus to serve as an vaccine and compiling medical proof for Levi. At the sound of Miri talking though, he walked quickly to her side and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Miri, it's Byrin. Your grandfather left about an hour ago to go to bed. What do you need?" he asked gently.

"Byrin..." she gave a sigh. "Here I am sick and I haven't barely seen you. I just wanted to talk was all. I'm feeling a little better."

"That's good." Byrin poked the end of the thermometer in her ear and waited for the beep. Her temp was still up, but down from what it had been. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Nothing really."

"Well, I'm here. You can talk to me if you'd like."

"I like you Byrin."

The young man chuckled. "I'd figured that much out already,"

"I know." Not all the flush to her face was from her fever. "What do you believe about God?"

"Honestly, I've never given Him much thought. Not until I came here. I'm not really sure what to think."

"Keep thinking. He'll find you. Would you like to know something I've always wondered?"

"What's that?" Byrin was having a hard time following her track changes in the conversation, but he chalked that up to the illness.

"The Bible says that in the end times, God is going to call all Jews back to Israel, the Promised Land. How can He do that if we're spread out among the stars like we are?"

That was definately a question for Levi, but as he wasn't here, Byrin decided to do his best. What irony! "Well, He's supposed to be all powerful right? Nothing is to big for HIm...that kind of stuf, right?"

"Yes. I do believe that. He's protected us thus far."

Aside from a wee little plague, of course. "Well then, if He said He'd do it, I'm sure He'll find a way."

Miri was quiet. "He did give us an answer to this plague."

Byrin hadn't looked at it quite like that. "You helped."

"I'm talking about you," Miri said. "He sent us you. None of this would have been possible if you hadn't come here."

"Surely...Marcus..."

"Marcus sent for you...He said he had peace about calling in what he called the 'big guns'." Miri sighed. "I'm tired again."

"You'll probably be tired for a while, dearest." Byrin felt his cheeks flame.

"Probably. People are getting better right?"

"Yes, we'll probably start discharging people in a day or two."

"Good. I'm going..." Just like that she was asleep again.

No comments: