March 15, 2007

Resistance Is Futile - Pt 10

The lighting in the Holodeck was muted, the 'light' coming from a programmed moon that rode low on the horizon of a peaceful sea.

"Picard," Virginia said with a sigh as she tugged her shoes off. Followed by her socks so that she was wiggling her bare toes in the sand. "I've lost count of how long it has been since I've had a moonlit stroll along the beach. Even a holographic one."

"Virginia, please...call me Jean-Luc." He was lost in her eyes as he spoke, admiring how the moonlight added an extra glimmer. At least, he thought it was the moonlight. Even in the dim lighting, he could see her blush.

"All right, Jean-Luc." Virginia looked up and down the stretch of beach that had been programmed in. To their right, the moonlight reflected off sheer rock cliffs that climbed the sky. "I don't recognize this place. Is it real, or a fabrication?"

"I believe it is a fabrication based on several different real places, but I don't know which ones," Picard answered.

"It's pretty," she said softly. "For a simulation."

Picard chuckled. "Come, let's walk." He offered her his arm, smiling broadly when she put her hand in the crook of his arm. "Virginia," he said after walking several yards in comfortable silence.

"Yes, Jean-Luc?"

"How telepathic are you?"

Her sigh was audible over the sound of the gentle waves lapping the beachfront. "Too telepathic. Before you came into 10-Forward earlier, I was complaining to Guinan about how telepathically noisy this ship is."

"You can't shield it out?" He knew that Troi often kept her strong shields in place as often as she could because of this same reason.

"I can shut the worst of it out. Most of the time though, it's a soft roar...like a bee buzzing against the screen wanting to get in...a constant wind...waves against the shore. It's why I spent almost twenty years of my life drunk."

"Counselor Troi told me of the effect that alcohol has on you."

"Yes, I know. It's a struggle not to abuse that effect. It was easier when Marcus was alive, he..." Virginia bit her lip and trailed off.

Picard glanced down at her. "It occurs to me, you have me at a distinct disadvantage. You know all that there is to know about me, at a moments glance, while I know nothing more about you than the common man."

"You're hardly a common man. But you're right, it's a pretty rotten deal," she said, agreeing with his assessment. "I didn't ask for it, didn't ask to be born to an alien father...part of a powerful race that doesn't mind if everyone thinks they're as omniscient as God when they're not. I don't know everything there is to know about you...for an instant I did, but most of that knowledge fades within minutes. And to be honest, I was rather distracted by your Borg experience, that I noticed little else at the time. Your thoughts are strangely silent to me...even know, I can hear the buzz of the rest of the ship, but my sensing of you is...quieter. Almost like you're a Vulcan or another telepath. Their thoughts are often much quieter." She stopped walking and as the captain turned to look at her, she looked up at him accusingly. "And I can not believe how you let me ramble on!"

Picard smiled, reaching up to touch her cheek with his fingers. "Perhaps it is because I like the sound of your voice."

Virginia clearly didn't have an answer for that.

Gently, he drew his fingers along her jawline. "You are a beautiful woman, in or out of uniform. You live up to your reputation of being a bold, confident woman...but when you 'ramble', as you call it, you reveal your vulnerable side. And I find that an intriguing paradox...a mystery even...and I love a mystery..."

Virginia stood there, listening as the buzz of the ship left, hearing only his voice, feeling the touch of his fingers against his skin, seeing only the intensity of his gaze. "Are...are you going to kiss me?"

Jean-Luc stepped closer, his hand moving to cup her face in his palm. "Do you want me to kiss you?"

"Ye..." His lips covered hers, and she was lost in the moment. Her arms went around him, pulling him closer. He deepened the kiss, his arms wrapping tightly around her, trapping her in a wonderful embrace. When he pulled his lips back, she pressed forward, not wanting to end the kiss. The resulting kiss, left them both breathless. "Wow," she whispered.

"I'm glad you liked it," he murmured in her ear. This time, instead of offering his arm, he took her hand in his. "Come, walk with me. Talk to me, tell me your fears, your hopes...tell me even about Marcus..."

"Is that all you want?" teased Virginia.

"For now. But perhaps, before long, we will find that we both want more."

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

You know how to write romance, Ciera!