August 12, 2008

Zion's Children - pt 19

"It's your own fault, Levi," remarked Admiral Hiawithus as the two sat in the shade of a lone maple-like tree. It was the only tree on this branch of the New Jerusalem River, where the two frequently met outside of politics and religion and were just friends.

Levi cast his fishing line out, and sighed. "I suppose you're right, Archibald. I didn't exactly set a good example letting you befriend me, did I?"

The old admiral chuckled. "Well, you certainly gave me a hard enough time about it!"

"Our life here has never been easy. We were sent away from our homes, exiled from the planet of our birth. Trusting those who came afterwards was not something that we were taught as children. Did I err in going against those lessons? Have I set my granddaughter up for failure?"

"Rubbish," Archibald replied, casting his own line out, farther to the left than his friend had. "First of all, Miriam has a good head on her shoulders, and she is firm in her faith. No one is going to lead her astray." He let the current pull his line, tugging on it only lightly to keep it from tangling with Levi's line. "Are you afraid that someone will someday talk her into leaving the planet? That she'll leave you alone?"

Levi snorted. "Miriam will no sooner leave this planet than you will. She believes in this world, in this people, as much as you do."

"And does she support partnership with the Conglomerate?"

That drew the colony man up short. "You know, I don't think she's ever said."

Archibald laughed heartily, which given his sickly appearance was startling for someone not prepared for it. "Maybe you ought to ask her some time!"

"I think I might." Levi tried not to grumble.

"Seriously, Levi...what are you afraid of?"

"I'm afraid of many things, Archibald. Mainly, I'm afraid that Miriam is going to get this disease. But even if that doesn't happen ... I'm afraid I'll lose her anyway ... that her spirit will be crushed at the sight of so much death. She's held the hand of dying friends, Archibald. No girl her age should have to go through that."

"She's your granddaughter...and your spirit hasn't been crushed one bit," replied Hiawithus.

Levi sighed. "Yet."

3 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A last word there!

Nepharia said...

Wow, you have been busy! Good work, as always.

Nepharia said...

Can I request you update the link to my blog? The new one is http://nepharia.com/blog/ . Thanks!