June 19, 2008

Zion's Children pt - 14

Miri walked into a quiet lab. Her new friend Lily stood next to Doctor Alexander, who was staring blankly at the microscope while Byrin had moved to stand near the lab's one darkly tinted window. She set down her files, the hard copy backups, onto the counter and waited to see if they would acknowledge her. When they didn't, she blurted out, "I'm sick, aren't I? I just don't know it yet."

The three officers jumped at her voice.

"Actually," Byrin said, turning from the window. He crossed the room as he spoke, his green eyes somber. "Your blood tested negative for the virus."

"But..."

"We know," Alexander interrupted. "It doesn't make sense. Did you find the information you were looking for?"

It was a sign that he was shaken that he had to ask. "I have," Miri answered. "C-15D belonged to Benton Davidson. He was in his 15th year and he died one week ago. Records indicate that he became ill not long after his sample was taken. C-16S belongs to Rebekah Smith. She is nearing her third decade and is still well."

"How old are you, Miri?" Byrin asked. He picked up the files she had set down and flipped through them.

"25," she answered simply.

"Could age be a factor?" Lily wondered aloud.

"The older ones have been slower to become ill," Alexander commented. "Although they don't live as long as the younger ones do. It hits them harder and faster."

Byrin nodded. "Random blood samples, control and ill, from each age group. For both groups, I also want their complete medical background. If we have the people to spare, I want each of the Control group monitored. If we don't have the people, have them monitor themselves...what they eat, what they drink, where...what they do in their free time...everything."

Alexander actually laughed. "Don't ask much, do you?"

The younger doctor had the good grace to blush.

"I'll do my best to see that you get what you want," Alexander replied. "Lily, you split your nurses up however you see fit to draw the blood. You and Miri can work on the cataloging together. Although, Miri..."

"Marc, don't ask me to start taking it easy. I've been working right along not knowing anything was wrong with me, why should I start now? Unless we find that it's an airborne contagion, which I believe hasn't been done yet."

The older doctor laughed again. "My God woman, you've worked for me too long if you can read my mind that well. All right, but I want you to monitor yourself even more than usual. The instant you feel the slightest bit ill..."

"You'll be the first one to know about it," Miri promised. "I do believe it is nearing dinner time however, the carts ought to making their rounds soon. Do you want to break for a moment or eat in?"

Alexander checked his wrist watch. "Right on the money, as always. I promise to eat on the run my dear. Lily, Byrin, you can make up your own minds."

"I'll eat soon," Lily likewise promised, feeling somewhat amused that she was attempting to take care of them.

"I'm not hungry," Byrin said. He turned away from the trio and returned to the main computer.

Nothing was said, but Miri caught the senior doctor's eye long enough to let him know that she would watch out for the younger doctor. After all, it would do her people no good if the man they had prayed for were to fall ill himself before he could find the answer to their illness.

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

You're forming the characters well.