November 03, 2007

Resistance Is Futile - pt 44

"It almost sounds like she loves you," Raven-Cloud commented into the hidden spot where Q had sequestered himself.

Q looked at his newly arrived visitor in annoyance, but didn't comment.

Raven-Cloud chuckled. "I'd forgotten how passionate she can be when riled. Why didn't that come out at your trial? And did she really seduce you?"

"It didn't come out because her father didn't believe it had happened and because they viewed her as too unstable at the time to be a viable witness."

"You didn't answer the other question."

Q took a deep breath, almost a sigh. "You're right I didn't. Yes, Virginia took advantage of me in a weak moment. I suppose you want to hear the story?"

"Not for my own purposes. The Council will want to know what happened...and why you never said a word about it before. Although I would be grateful if you didn't go into detail for all of it."

"I didn't say anything because I was protecting her. Our people have punished her enough, and I couldn't stand the thought of her being punished for this. And the only thing seduction is, is to convince someone to do something they already want to do. So, I probably could have fought her off if I had really wanted to."

"What happened?" asked the solemn ambassador.

"She had a nightmare. It seemed like every time she regained a piece of her mind back after Marcus' death...something about it triggered a reoccurring nightmare she'd been having. I guess she even had it while in the Sanctuary."

Raven-Cloud nodded. "Many bad things happened to her in there."

"I lost count of the times she woke me up while screaming in her sleep. This particular night...she had woke me up from a rather erotic dream about her. So when I was holding her..." Q made a frustrated sigh. "We were both in our nightclothes and, well, my body wasn't exactly subtle that night. I tried to apologize, and to leave her...I thought for sure she was offended and would never be comfortable around me again. She grabbed ahold of me before I could even get off the bed...and kissed me...rather unchastely. I tried to tell her all the reason why we shouldn't...but she wrapped herself around me. She kept telling me that I wanted to. And I did Raven, it's not like I could call her a liar. And so...I did...I made love with her."

Raven-Cloud cleared his throat. "I think most men would find it hard not to give in to that. She is a beautiful woman...and determined."

"I had...I still have the hardest time telling her no. For anything." Q sighed. "Is that enough?"

"When did you realize the two of you had Bonded?"

"At the time, neither one of us realized it until she went to leave the room. She turned and told me I could get out of her mind. Imagine our surprise when I couldn't. She flipped out...we fought for hours. In retrospect, I think we both knew when it happened."

"Did you offer to have it Broken?"

"Yes. I've asked her that several times over the years. Each time she damn near takes my head off."

"Interesting. Do you suppose it's because she's afraid it will be like when Marcus died...or because she loves you?"

"I've always thought she was afraid. After that outburst...I don't know. I know what I want to believe."

Raven-Cloud paused, unsure of how to ask his next question. "Since that time, have the two of you...?"

"With you as her watchdog? No, Raven, we haven't been physically intimate since then. There have been times when she's needed me...but we rarely ever lift the Muting off our Bond...and touching is something we don't do often, and then it is very guarded."

"Is that by your choice, or hers?"

Q shrugged. "Mostly hers. I won't deny that I wish things had been different, but for so long...she seemed to hate the very sight of me...except when she needed me. And if we don't touch....I won't be tempted to try anything she doesn't want. I'm half afraid, that after this Borg thing is over and she is well...she won't want anything to do with me again. Which is a moot point I guess since I'm an Exile not allowed contact with others."

"The Council will probably want to conduct a review of your trial." Raven-Cloud snorted, a loud sound in the darkness. "It'll give them something to do while..."

"While what?"

"Do you trust me, Ian?"

At first, he was taken aback at the use of his old name. But then Q considered the other man. They had a history together, as did most men of their race and ages. Raven-Cloud was a pure-blood a few centuries older than himself, but the elder had never held the younger's mixed heritage against him as others in Special Ops had. So, almost all their history was good...all except for that one time...but...that was a long time ago. "Yes," Q decided. "I trust you."

"The Council has given their permission for you to rescue Virginia...on one condition. That you wait until my say so before you do."

"No other catch?" Q asked, surprised.

"Actually, yes there was....but after what I've just heard...I will do everything in my power to have it reconsidered and voted against."

"What?" dread filled Q's voice.

Raven-Cloud hesitated. "They wanted you to Break your Bond with her...willingly and sacrificially. To prove that your love for her is real. But, you say you've offered...and I heard her words to the Trio woman. I think that if they were to have you do that...just the notion would cause her to panic."

He considered. "It probably would."

"So. You stay here, mind your watch...and I'll be back shortly."

"Try to hurry," requested Q.

"I'll do my best."

And again Q was alone in the darkness, watching...

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

An excellent development in the story.