August 26, 2007

Resistance Is Futile - Pt 20

Virginia sighed, her emotions tumultuously mixed with the pleasure that was slowly ebbing away. Picard might have called out the wrong name...more than once...but he certainly knew his way around a woman's body.

He still laid next to her, his arm holding her close. His fingers gently caressing her skin. "What are you thinking?"

She wondered if he really wanted to know. She decided not to find out. "That I ought to call Guinan and find out what she wanted. Then call my office and see what they want as well, before they decide to send in the calvary and someone just all of a sudden shows up."

"Virginia, tell me, why can't I make love to you when you're sober?" Picard asked.

It had been something long on the captain's mind, but out of the blue to Virginia. She tensed, and sat up. "Why must the sun rise in the east?" She got out of bed, rather abruptly to his way of thinking, and put her robe on. She ran her hands through her hair, and then stood there, just looking at him as she spoke. "Regulations. Some of them suck...but this one I agree with. Jean-Luc...Every couple bonds to some degree when they have sex...it's the way God made us. Some species, especially telepathic ones, can bond closer. The Vulcans actually start this bond with their betrothal ceremony. They have more control over the Bond that way. Gandraleayians have no control over the Bonding process...and ours is a deep Bond...and virtually unbreakable. It takes seven Gandraleayians to Break or Bind a couple's Bond, outside of death of course. Binding and Breaking this Bond is an extrememly painful experience, and not done lightly. It does cut down on promiscuity, adultery and divorce, though it does exist in our culture. Because alcohol renders my telepathy useless...makes me almost human...I cannot Bond with you, or anyone else, any more than a normal human."

"Does alcohol affect your entire race this way then?"

"No. And it doesn't even effect all hybrids the same way." She turned away and began to walk to her desk.

"Virginia..." He waited for her to pause and look back at him. "There are some planets where the sun rises in the west."

She turned back to him. "Yes, there are. Would you like to know what happened the last time I broke this regulation?"

"Were you punished?" How would they punish a person for something like that? Maybe he didn't want to know.

"Not by the Council. Jayden...couldn't handle the Bond that resulted. He loved me in his own way, but he wasn't prepared to have my presence always with him." Her voice faltered, but she went on, tears not quite leaking out of her eyes. "Even though he was human, and had no telepathic abilities of his own...the Bond does that Jean-Luc...he could hear me, feel me, even while with another woman...It's like a mind meld that never really terminates...there are whispers of each other in the back of our minds...Marcus loved me even more, for who I was...and he loved being Bonded with me that close. It saved our lives more times than I can count, especially during the Third World War. Jayden, after he had slept with other women...made sure I was paying attention...and killed himself. He found a transporter, set it for slow, wide disperal...and activated it."

Picard looked at her in shocked silence.

"That is why I will never violate that Regulation again."

"I don't blame you..." Words failed him.

Virginia turned around, and continued to her desk, the back of her robe gently swishing around her hips.

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

You're still doing well with this super story.