June 28, 2007

Resistance Is Futile - Pt 16

Already Virginia was beginning to feel the effects of her hastily swallowed drink. As she and the android danced, the voices that constantly hammered at the edge of her awareness slowly faded away to nothing.

Silence. Blessed silence.

Except for the chattering of her dance partner. With some effort, she focused on what he was saying.

"...but the Ferengi has to go."

What?

"Did you not understand the joke?" Data asked, his face crinkling in a fair resemblance of polite concern.

"Oh...No...It's just that I'm feeling the Romulan ale I just drank," she answered honestly.

Before he could reply, the music ended, with a pause to allow changes in dance partners.

"You are an excellent dancer, Mr. Data," the admiral said in compliment.

"Thank you; Doctor Crusher would be pleased to hear that she has been a good teacher. You had an excellent teacher as well."

"Yes, I did..."

"May I have this dance?" interupted Picard as a spirited waltz began.

Virginia hestitated in indecision, allowing Data to nod at them and take his leave. Before she knew it, she and the captain were dancing.

"I never said yes," she protested.

"You didn't say no either."

Her eyes locked with his, but Virginia could still see out of the corner of her vision how the good doctor watched them...along with several other people...but only one of them was angry with her.

"She loves you Picard," the admiral said evenly. The spot between her eyes was beginning to feel fuzzy. Maybe she shouldn't have gulped that ale down like she did. "I can't come between you."

Picard's eyes had a somber twinkle to them. "And what are my feelings towards her?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm assuming you must have had complete Access to her at some point during the play, or just after; am I right?"

Virginia nodded. "I didn't realize the full extant of her feelings until she spoke with us."

"I see. Admiral...Virginia...You Accessed me earlier than that. Do you by any chance recall my feelings for her?"

"Uhm, no. I was rather distracted." By his attraction to her, if she was honest, coupled with being caught up in his Borg experience.

Picard smiled. "I consider her a friend, though an exceptionally close one. There was a time when I loved her, still do to a degree. But...several years ago...when Q shifted me around in time, I realized that a deeper relationship would not end well...so I decided never to pursue one."

"I see. Does Beverly know this?" She was beginning to feel a little dizzy...but she was beginning to feel a little more hopeful.

"Not precisely everything, but she knows that I've decided not to pursue a romantic relationship."

Silence reigned for the remainder of the waltz, when the two stopped rather abruptly with the music.

"Where do we go from here?" Virginia asked quietly, not moving from his embrace.

"Where ever we want to," Picard asnwered.

The music started again...softer...slower...and decidedly romantic.

"Come closer," whispered Picard.

Virginia hesitated only a heartbeat before stepping closer, deeper into his arms. Her arms wrapped around him, and she rested her head against his shoulder. He responded by tilting his head so that his cheek rested against her forehead. His arms were firm about her, one hand slipping up her back to rest on the bare skin on the back of her neck, and she could hear the soft beating of his heart. Even though she knew it was an artificial heart, the sound still brought comfort to her. She sighed contendedly and nestled closer.

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

That's what I call a romantic dance!