February 14, 2007

Resistance Is Futile - Pt. 5

At long last, the story continues!! Check out the previous posts to bring yourself up to speed.

Given Deanna's smile and her pleasant tone of voice, there was no way the captain could mistake her meaning of how she believed he liked the absent woman. "She's a StarFleet Admiral," Picard said, though not denying her charge.

"Regardless, she is a woman," Deanna replied. "And an attractive one."

"No doubt any attraction I might feel is a side effect of her mind access." Picard straightened his uniform jacket in the quietly dubbed 'Picard Manuever'.

"I don't think so. I certainly don't feel any different toward her than I did before her access of me. No protective feelings or anything of that nature."

"However, you are also a woman," Picard pointed out.

Deanna saw his point, but didn't change her mind. She was after all, an Empath. "I could check into it, if you like. Discretely. See if any other males have had a similar 'side-effect'." she offered with a faint smile.

"As you wish."

There was a moment of silence, each thinking their own thoughts.

"It doesn't make sense to me, Captain," the counselor said. "Why give the admiral permission to save me, no matter the outcome, yet not allow her to destroy the Borg? I understand the ethical reason you voiced earlier, but there is still something about it that doesn't make sense."

"I agree." Picard turned his chair slightly to watch the stars streak by as he thought. "She's being tested."

"Why? She's served in StarFleet for hundreds of years."

"I don't think they're the ones testing her." Picard pivoted back towards the counselor. "They have no reason to doubt her loyalties or motivations. As you said, she's served StarFleet for centuries, and has been a guiding force of the Federation since before it was born. However...I wonder if perhaps her own people doubt her? She shared with me earlier that ten years ago she was called to the Gandraleayian throne and she fought it."

"Really?" Again Deanna's faint smile curved her lips. "Admiral Hamilton isn't known to be open regarding issues concerning the throne."

"No, she tends to be a private person all around," agreed Picard, realizing as he said so that the admiral had not been with him.

"It's not really surprising that she would fight a call to the throne," mused the counselor. "From our perspective, the admiral is a woman hundreds of years old...wise, mature, steeped with knowledge, full of experience...but by Gandraleayian standards, she is still a very young woman."

"She did comment that under normal circumstances, she wouldn't have to rule for another six hundered years."

"Exactly. Which would support your theory that they're the ones testing her."

"With you as the pawn." Picard pointed out.

Deanna drew a deep breath. "Yes. With me as the pawn." She took a moment to shift position in her seat, unconsciously crossing her legs. "While there are differences between ruling an empire and commanding a starship, I think there would be some similiarites. When I was taking the tests to become a commander, what I had to realize was that my first duty was to the ship. Commander Riker had to know that I would be able to sacrifice an individual in order to preserve the whole. No doubt the Oryon Council wants to know if their heir-apparent is able to do the same...sacrifce one, me, for the greater good."

"The needs of the many outway the needs of the one," quoted Picard.

"Or the few," finished Deanna.

"I must say," the ENTERPRISE captain said after a moment, "you're taking this rather well."

"Inside - I am quaking. Terrifed and angry. As soon as you and I are done here, I plan on finding Worf and a large chocolate sundae."

Picard gave her an understanding smile. "Then don't let me keep you."

"Thank you, sir." Deanna rose gracefully to her feet, the silky fabric of her evening dress falling to cover her legs.

"And Counselor..."

"Yes, Captain?"

"If you decide to offer your resignation, I'll understand."

The ship's counselor didn't answer verbally, she nodded her head in acknowledgement and left the captain alone in his ready room.

As soon as the doors had slid shut behind her, Picard released the deep sigh of frustration he had been holding in. "Damn the Borg."

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Good to have this story up and running again!