June 09, 2006

Resistance Is Futile - Pt. 4

Admiral Virginia Hamilton paused before answering the Empath's question of why she had been chosen for assimilation, knowing that it was going to be hard for both the woman and her captain to swallow. "The Council is asking you to do this because you're the most powerful Empath currently serving in StarFleet."

"That way, if she refuses, The Council can order her to do it?" asked Picard, his stomach feeling sick.

"Honestly?" Virginia took a deep breath, and answered. "Yes."

"And if it doesn't work?" he demanded. "What happens to Counselor Troi then?"

Virginia looked at the Betazoid briefly. "If it fails, and the Borg do not destroy themselves, I am then authorized to rescue Deanna and restore her just as if nothing happened. In the event that is succeeds, I am authorized to pull her from the ship and restore her."

"I don't see why they don't just let you destroy the Borg," Deanna said angrily. "You're more than capable."

"I don't know," answered the Admiral. "I've asked and they've said no."

"If they were to say yes, when would it stop?" commented Picard, wondering why the women hadn't realized the answer themselves. Granted, Troi was understandably upset. "If it's all right to destroy the Borg by using the Admiral's powers, would it be permissible later for her to be authorized to use them to eliminate the Federations other threats? To intimidate the Romulans, the Breen..."

"The Romulans and the Breen do not compare to the Borg, but I see your point Captain." Deanna shook her head, still upset.

"Logic's never been one of my strong points," conceded the Admiral. "I used to drive Spock quite mad."

"Admiral?" Deanna straightened in her seat and Picard could see her beginning to recover from her shock. "Do you need an answer right now?"

"No. You have up to 48 hours before I have to report to the Council. Feel free to discuss this over with your Captain, your fiance, closest confidante. I can forward files to you and will answer any questions you're bound to have. For now, I wish to retire to quarters for a bit; it will give you and Picard a chance to talk." The Admiral rose to her feet gracefully, the need to be alone written on her face.

Picard rose to his feet as well. "If you like, I can show you to the quarters we've prepared for you."

Virginia gave him a shaky smile. "I think I can find my own way, some other time perhaps." She held his gaze a moment longer, then turned and left the Ready Room.

He watched her go, before returning to his seat. He looked at his ship's counselor and was surprised to find her smiling. "I'm surprised you can smile right now."

Deanna just smiled more widely before answering, "You like her."

There was no doubting how Deanna meant that.

1 comment:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A great story developing, Ciera!